Wednesday, August 29, 2012

My version of the vertical garden


I love these little plants, they can be very sensitive but if treated well they give so much in return.  They prefer indirect sunlight and moist soil.  I usually mist them a couple of times each week. They seem to thrive on that. 

They are native to Corsica and Sardinia and is available in different hues of green.Their latin name is Soleirolia soleirolii, in SA they're called 'Peace in the home', in the UK "Mind your own business' and in NZ 'Baby's tears'. 

I prefer Peace in the Home, that's what we're all aiming for, right?

In the photo you can see I used bamboo steamers, which I found at the op shop for next to nothing.  I chose them because I specifically wanted a round frame and bamboo don't rot. 

I lined the frame with a plastic membrane filled with potting soil, used rope to secure all in place,t hen I carefully planted my Peace in the Home.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, I should have known that rope is not a good idea - it rotted in an eyewink so I replaced it with fishing line. Also it's much easier to plant first and then secure in place. 

And this is my version of the vertical garden.  What do you think? You going to give it a go? It's much easier that it sounds, I should have started with these years ago ...

No comments:

Post a Comment